What we will do
Truly go local! Even in a popular city like Tokyo, you can find hidden gems and off the beaten track adventures.
Tokyo’s best-known spots are worth a visit but getting away from the touristy areas is the best way to really experience local culture. On our Super Sugamo Foodie Adventure, you can explore a truly hidden gem neighborhood with a 100-year history of food and flavors. Meet some of Tokyo’s friendliest shop owners. Taste special snacks, and enjoy a delicious local lunch. Those with a sweet tooth can also have fun trying a few things only available here. This Tour is extremely Family Friendly, kids and adults will find so many things to enjoy together!
This friendly town is not far by train from famous areas like Shibuya but it is a world away in terms of atmosphere. Sugamo is often dubbed “Harajuku for the Older Generation”, for its bustling shopping streets favored by the 60+ crowd. Because of this, the neighborhood is one of the best places to really connect with locals and soak up Tokyo’s downtown atmosphere of old. Of course, you don’t have to be a grandma or grandpa to enjoy the unique snacks and browse shops with traditional crafts for sale. Don’t forget to ask your guide the story behind the Sugamo “lucky red underwear” and visit Kouganji Temple for its healing reputation!
We will begin the tour with a local sweet treat from a shop that has been in the area for about 100 years! This charming location has a great friendly atmosphere and creates original snacks and classics with a twist found no where else in Tokyo. Next head on to Jizo Dori the famous local shopping arcade where you will have a chance to visit regional shops celebrating prefectures across Japan, stop at a famous temple and learn about this haven for older Tokyo residents who are still quite young a heart! As we mentioned, the district’s popular, 800 meter long street is also affectionately known as the “Old People’s Harajuku” in a fun comparison to the Harajuku district’s status as one of Japan’s foremost youthful shopping and fashion destinations.
Browse pickle stores, snack stalls, interesting shops and take in the local vibe on your way to a favorite spot for a delicious lunch set! After lunch we will do a bit more browsing and finish off with more regional sweets and snacks.
This is a must-do activity and tour, especially for people looking for local connection, interesting stories and sightseeing and of course, Delicious Food!
- 3-hour tour and Cultural experience
- Lunch and local food tastings at 5 food stops
- Includes dessert and 1 drink
- Browse the shops at a local shopping arcade for souvenirs unique to the area.
We are Arigato Travel KK. Our goal is to help you make delicious memories of Japan during your travels to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and Hiroshima! On our tours, you’ll taste local and regional specialties and we will show you places locals cherish for an off-the-beaten-path, foodie experience of daily life in Japan that you won’t soon forget.
Where we will meet
- Meet up point: The front of Aoyama Flower Market shop inside the Sugamo Station entrance area.
- Address: 〒170-0002 Tōkyō-to, Toshima City, Sugamo, 1-chōme−16−8 アトレヴィ巣鴨 1F
- Access: JR Yamanote Line, Mita Subway Line
What I will provide
- Try local dishes at 5 food stops
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- 1 drink
- Local English-speaking guide
- A strict policy on tour start time. Tour starts promptly at 11:30 am and ends at 2:30 pm. Guests who are late will be left behind and we are unable to re-connect them to the ongoing tour.
- At least 2 people are required, a maximum of 10 for this activity to take place.
- Dietary restriction flexibility: vegetarian, pescetarian, no-shellfish, no-pork. Please let us know in advance if you have any dietary restrictions, and if these restrictions are allergies or preferences.
- The operator reserves the right to expel any participant from any service who is intoxicated, acting belligerently, endangering others, or behaving in a way that may tarnish or act upon the operator’s reputation or cause distress to third parties, participants, and/or individuals.
- The operator and its guides reserve the right to refuse or withdraw guests that are unfit to take the tour for any reason or act in a dangerous manner. A guest's participation in any service will be terminated if the guest breaks any local laws or regulations put in place by Japanese authorities.
- You must be 20 years of age and present a valid photo ID in order to consume alcohol.