What we will do
Truly go local! Tokyo’s best-known spots are worth a visit but getting away from the touristy areas is the best way to really experience local culture.
On our Sugamo Culture and Food tour, you have the best of all worlds. We will begin the tour with a local sweet treat from a shop that has been in the area for about 100 years! This charming location has a great friendly atmosphere and creates original snacks and classics with a twist found no where else in Tokyo. Next head on to Jizo Dori the famous local shopping arcade where you will have a chance to visit regional shops celebrating prefectures across Japan, stop at a famous temple and learn about this haven for older Tokyo residents who are still quite young a heart! The district’s popular, 800-meter long street is also affectionately known as the “Old Generations’ Harajuku” in a fun comparison to the Harajuku district’s status as one of Japan’s foremost youthful shopping and fashion destinations.
Browse pickle stores, snack stalls, interesting shops and take in the local vibe on your way to a favorite spot for a delicious lunch set and delicious dessert. After lunch and an exploration of this colorful and fun area– head to a hidden calligraphy studio and experience the ancient art of Japanese Calligraphy called Shodo. Create your own Japanese Kanji character with a fantastic teacher. When you have written your Japanese kanji with brush and ink there is a wonderful added bonus! You get to take home your own high-quality T-shirt with your character on it! Or you can add your name in Kanji for your shirt, the teacher will help you choose the best characters!
This is a must-do activity and tour, especially for people looking for local connection, cultural experiences, hands-on activities and of course, Delicious Food!
- 4-hour tour and Cultural experience
- Lunch and local food tastings at 5 food stops
- Browse the shops at a local shopping arcade for souvenirs
- Shodo (Japanese calligraphy class) with an English speaking teacher in a private studio
- Take home your own T-shirt with your Kanji character from your personal brush work
We are Arigato Travel KK. Our goal is to help you make delicious memories of Japan during your travels to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and Hiroshima! On our tours, you’ll taste local and regional specialties and we will show you places locals cherish for an off-the-beaten-path, foodie experience of daily life in Japan that you won’t soon forget.
Where we will meet
Meet up point: The front of Aoyama Flower Market shop inside the Sugamo Station entrance area.
〒170-0002 Tōkyō-to, Toshima City, Sugamo, 1-chōme−16−8 アトレヴィ巣鴨 1F
〒170-0002 東京都豊島区巣鴨１丁目１６−8 アトレヴィ巣鴨 1F
Google Map Link: https://goo.gl/maps/nci3aaa1HoT7Y8w26
What I will provide
- Try local dishes at 5 food stops
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- 1 drink
- Traditional calligraphy experience with professionals (all materials are supplied).
- Bring back home your own customized t-shirt
- Local English speaking guide
- A strict policy on tour start time. Guests who are late will be left behind and we are unable to re-connect them to the ongoing tour.
- At least 2 people are required, maximum of 10 for this activity to take place.
- Dietary Restriction flexibility: Vegan, Vegetarian, Pescetarian, Gluten-Free friendly. Please let us know in advance if you have any dietary restrictions, and if these restrictions are allergies or preferences.
- The operator reserves the right to expel any participant from any service who is intoxicated, acting belligerently, endangering others or behaving in a way which may tarnish or act upon the operator’s reputation or cause distress to third parties, participants and/or individuals.
- The operator and its guides reserve the right to refuse or withdraw guests that are unfit to take the tour for any reason or act in a dangerous manner. A guest's participation in any service will be terminated if the guest breaks any local laws or regulations put in place by Japanese authorities.
- You must be 20 years of age and present a valid photo ID in order to consume alcohol.